Teaching writing can be hard, especially in kindergarten and 1st grade! My goal is to help guide you through the first 5-6 weeks of launching your writing workshop with ease.
I believe that too often, the focus in writing workshop is on text early on and students are rushed into writing words without taking time to learn about storytelling through pictures.
That’s why in this first unit, there’s a strong focus on writing through pictures, as well as oral storytelling, which is SO important in kindergarten!
• 22 detailed lesson plans take the guesswork out of teaching! Each 1-page lesson includes the mentor text suggestion and a quick summary for your convenience! They also have an ENGAGE section to quickly grab your students’ attention and set the purpose for the mini-lesson.
• 25-day and Week-at-a-glance calendars make it easy to plan ahead
• Pre-writing pack: Lesson, tracing activities, pencil grip posters
• Posters and anchor charts for visual aids and references
• Student activities and worksheets for quick practice of mini-lesson skills, where applicable
• Rubric and Intervention Tips to help you work on specific skills
• Conferring Forms for student notes
• Teacher guide pages with extra tips and ideas
• Celebration Pack with crowns and certificates
***Teaching Slides: This pack also includes PowerPoint slides for each lesson (optional, they aren’t necessary to teach the lessons)
- Types and purposes of books
- Strategies for generating topics
- We can write about anything!
- Writers write the whole time
- Building writing stamina
- Drawing with shapes
- Drawing people
- Writers add details- “level up”
- Adding setting details- 2 days
- Reading our pictures
- Reading our pictures and adding more
- Bring people to life- expressions
- Bring people to life- action
- Telling a story across pages, 1
- Telling a story across pages, 2
- Drawing to emphasize the important part- “zooming in”
- Color Experts- Writers use color in important ways
- Label with 1st sound
- Label with ABC chart
- Label with Wendy Whale
- Descriptive labels
- Writers use checklists
Celebration time! (Ideas, crowns, and certificates)
*** You may also love these:
Kindergarten Unit 2: Writing Sentences
Kindergarten Writing Unit 3: Personal Narratives
Be the first to see my newest resources, sales, and freebies!
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Want my FREE weekly teaching tips and access to my FREE resource library?
Sign up here: FREE Resource Library
Want to join like-minded teachers to learn and share ideas?
Join my Facebook group here: Tejeda’s Tots K-1 Teacher Group
Want to Learn More?
Visit my blog here: Tejeda’s Tots
Follow me on Social Media
There are no reviews yet.