If you’ve taught kindergarten or first grade, you know how hard it is to get your students to write in complete sentences and add punctuation in the right places!
In this kindergarten sentence-writing unit, you’ll teach sentence skills explicitly as you work on a narrative about a shared experience.
Each student follows along with their own copy, adding their own sentences and details in some lessons.
This unit is very guided, as it focuses on sentence-writing. It makes a great bridge from drawing pictures and labeling to writing personal narratives!
• 20 detailed lesson plans take the guesswork out of teaching! Each 1-page lesson includes materials needed and an ENGAGE section to quickly grab your students’ attention and set the purpose for the mini-lesson.
• 20-day and Week-at-a-glance calendars make it easy to plan ahead
• Posters and anchor charts for visual aids and references
• Student activities and worksheets for quick practice of mini-lesson skills, where applicable
• Goal-setting Anchor Chart and Intervention Tips to help students work on specific skills
• Conferring Forms for student notes
• Teacher guide pages with extra tips and ideas
• Celebration Pack with crowns and certificates
***Teaching Slides: PowerPoint slides for MOST lessons (optional, they aren’t necessary to teach the lessons)
- Shared experience (nature walk)
- Drawing the story
- Labeling: Stretching out words
- Letters vs. Words vs. Sentences
- Sentences are complete thoughts
- Naming and Telling parts of a sentence
- Sentences make sense
- Capitals and periods
- Finding two sentences
- Adding describing words
- Adding WHERE detail
- Choosing a title
- BONUS: Capitalizing Names (people and the word I)
- BONUS: Capitalizing Names of Places
- BONUS: Question Marks
- BONUS: Exclamation Points
- Celebration time! (Ideas, crowns, and certificates)
**** For your first 5-6 weeks of launching your writing workshop, check out unit 1:
You’ll also love this one:
Be the first to see my newest resources, sales, and freebies!
Email me at email@example.com
Want my FREE weekly teaching tips and access to my FREE resource library?
Sign up here: FREE Resource Library
Want to join like-minded teachers to learn and share ideas?
Join my Facebook group here: Tejeda’s Tots K-1 Teacher Group
Want to Learn More?
Visit my blog here: Tejeda’s Tots
Follow me on Social Media